Runners Block: 5 Reasons to Get a Massage Before the Chicago Marathon
Are you too sore to squeeze one more hour of training before the big day? Or perhaps you’re nursing a minor injury that’s kept you from your training plan? If you are one of the thousands of athletes planning to descend upon Chicago next month to accomplish your personal dream of running the Chicago Marathon, you have first-hand knowledge of the training and fortitude required. Running a marathon is the ultimate test of endurance and strength for a runner and athlete. The physical stamina is taxing on even the most experienced of athletes. After all that training, don’t throw it away by not allowing your body to heal before the big day.
Incorporating massage therapy into your training regimen could improve your recovery time and increase your body’s ability to hit the concrete. Here are several reasons to get a massage in the weeks leading up to the big day:
- Delayed onset muscle soreness: After completing a challenging workout, muscle soreness may cause localized pain for several days. Massage can decrease your pain levels as you head into the race, allowing you to perform in optimal conditions.
- Inflammation: Hardcore training is traumatic for the body and is usually accompanied by inflammation and swelling. A circulation-focused massage can be a miracle cure to get rid of metabolic waste and flush out the system.
- Muscle tears: After major training, many of the body’s muscles suffer from minor strains and tears of the tissue. Massage can heal those torn tissues in a natural, healthy way.
- Injuries: Competitive running typically causes nagging injuries or chronic knee pain; massage therapy can treat localized areas.
- Education: Massage practitioners are a great resource when it comes to injury prevention planning and understanding of the human musculature.
And, more than anything: don’t forget to enjoy the big day! Runners from all 50 states and over 100 countries plan to participate. When you cross the finish line in Grant Park, make sure your body is in its best physical health.