By Joan Hannant, Founder & CEO of The Soma Institute
It's crucial to make the right choice when selecting a massage therapy school, as it greatly impacts your future as a massage therapist. We've put together a list of considerations to help you in your search for the perfect school.
Choosing the right massage therapy school is critically important to your future as a massage therapist. Here is a list of what to consider when looking for the right massage therapy school for you.
- Learn about the profession of massage therapy. Take an on-line career readiness quiz to see if you are a good fit. soma.edu/quiz
- Research the job outlook for massage therapy at bls.gov.
- Consider your career goals. Some schools focus on relaxation massage while others target clinical or sports massage. soma.edu/programs
- Research and review nationally accredited massage therapy schools. Accreditation is important because it represents high educational standards of quality. accet.org.
- Meet with an admissions advisor, take a tour, and/or talk to students to see if the massage therapy school feels like the right place for your professional education. soma.edu/scheduleatour
- Find out the details: tuition costs, financial assistance, schedules, student services, licensing and graduate services. soma.edu/employment
Where you end up in your massage therapy career
depends a lot on where you start out!